I like using high energy, repetitive exercises for skill training. They engage the players and give them a lot of opportunities to practice a skill that we have worked on before.
One of my favorites is Tag Turning.
- Two lines of players are facing each other
- One player has a ball (Player 3)
- A player from the opposite line starts in the middle (Player 1)
- Player 1 goes back toward his line and tags the next player (Player 2)
- Player 1 then checks back toward the ball and Player 3
- Player 2 follows closely behind
- Player 1 calls for the ball and Player 3 passes it to him
- Player 1 receives the ball and turns around Player 2 using one of the four turns taught earlier
- Player 2 then moves to tag Player 3 while Player 1 passes to Player 4 and the pattern continues