Grieve is the author of the "original" Coaching the 4-2-3-1 book and has now authored a book that focuses on the advanced tactics of the 4-2-3-1. This article is from the free eBook, Small-Sided Games to Train the 4-2-3-1. This eBook is given free with your purchase of the Advanced Tactics 4-2-3-1 book.
This is a small-sided game focusing on the technical development with an emphasis on pressing and covering and ball transition.
5v3 Pressing and covering with ball transition
The red are playmakers, and are always in the possession team.
The 3 yellows pressing the ball must try to win possession; the 3 yellows covering must try to intercept passes to the far side. If the ball reaches the far side, the yellow groups change roles, the reds move over to continue the 5v3. If possession is won, the blacks will move into defensive positions and the game restarts.
- Look for the spaces between the lines of pressure and covering
- Try to maintain triangulation and positional changes to make spaces and keep the ball
- Look forward for the switch pass and quick support
- Speed of pressure when the ball is switched
- 6 passes must be made before the ball can be switched
- Chipped passes can be made over the line of covering